- Friday Night Fun*: There’s something neat about Friday night Bundesliga games. I sit at work wistfully wishing I could watch. Mainz 05 host Borussia Dortmund in the game that starts matchday 9 of the Bundesliga. New Dortmund manager Thomas Tuchel will be taking on his old team for the first time. What hijinks will ensue?
- Kop @ the Klopp: Technically, Liverpool is playing Tottenham at White Hart Lane, but like everyone else, I want my Kop/Klopp wordplay, and I will have it, dammit. The Bearded Messiah will have his first league game as Liverpool manager, with Tottenham keen to spoil the party.
- Inter Milan vs. Juventus (aka Derby D’Italia): I don’t watch a ton of Serie A, but I’m always up for these big matches. And with Inter in 2nd place and defending champions Juve in 12th, there’s lots at stake.
Posts tagged ‘english premier league’
What was it with this weekend and 3-0 wins? First My Everton beat Southhampton by that scoreline. Then My NY Red Bulls took care of Toronto FC 3-0 on Saturday night. And finally, Manchester City defeated Chelsea – again 3-0. This last result was by far the most delicious because it is exactly what Jose Mourinho’s punk ass deserved after his latest round of throwing some unsuspecting soul under the bus for his team’s on-pitch failings. His sourpuss during the match was a thing of beauty. Long may his scowling continue.
Because we all know the Premier League table will look very different come next May.
1 Man City
3 Crystal Palace
4 West Ham
5 Aston Villa
7 Man Utd
20 West Brom
I like to have the after-round-1 table as a reference point for when people start saying stupid shit as the season goes on – and they always do.
Chelsea ran away with the league and left us quasi-neutrals quite bored with the whole spectacle.
But a new season is upon us, and hope is again alive that Mourinho and Co. will crash and burn.
That’s right folks. Our favorite sports soap opera has returned.
I’ve read all the preview articles and listened to all the season preview podcasts. I’m heading out to a pub tomorrow morning to watch the first Everton game of the season (vs. Watford). All that’s left for me to do is predict my top 4 finishers for the end of the season.
- Chelsea – I haven’t seen anything in the pre-season/transfer season to tell me that Chelsea won’t win this title again (yes, including the New York Red Bulls reserves beating them in a friendly)
- Manchester United – They’ve shored up a lot of their problem areas (except for defense). I have to think they’ll be better than they were last season, though I don’t really have any evidence to back that up.
- Arsenal – two years in a row of not having to go through a Champions League playoff? Why not?
- Manchester City – I’m bemused to see some picking them to win the title. Why? Because they signed Raheem Sterling?
Off to bed, as kickoff is at 9:00 a.m.
It is beautiful.
It is joy.
It is right.
In other Premier League news, my Everton drew league leaders Arsenal. Only an Everton win would have made this the perfect EPL weekend for me.
…that friends is my Futbol Happy Place.
Everton FC’s Bryan Oviedo did the honors last night, scoring in the 86th minute to beat Manchester United. At Old Trafford.
Only thing that would have made it sweeter would have been Liverpool and Chelsea both losing. But you can’t have it all, right?
Elsewhere, we’ve got one day till World Cup Draw Day. How many Groups of Death will there be this time?